The Finish Line

The Finish Line
The Knuckleheads

The Last Day

The Last Day
Our Running Buddies

Wednesday, August 6, 2008

Day 147 The Quest Almost Came to an End

Not a good day....almost in a mild state of panic. Ran 8.5 in the 4H's mostly trail. Major trail shoe issues. Was hoping to have a nice trail run in the new shoes. I am not sure if it is a shoe or sock issue. It is too late in training process to be worrying about shoes and socks. Anyway my feet were swimming in the new shoes as they loosened up during the run. This caused my Achilles to start hurting which had not bothered me for more then a month. Not sure what to do at this stage. May go back to my New Balance 908's or try a thicker sock which may bring back the blisters. Not Happy.

While trying to process the trail shoe problem on today's run... I was on a trail with a ton of roots which I use for good practice. Well I was going at a good pace when I missed this root. Well I do not know how I did not wipe out. I caught myself and almost had a Whip Lash on the recovery.... pulled a muscle in my back. Had I gone down something would have broken for sure. Maybe its an Omen...good or bad I am not sure.

Well today was a big gear day. The pee bottle arrived along with the therma rest pad, duffel bag , the head lamp, medical kit and $60 worth on socks that I will now probably have to return.

I will sleep on the shoe issue...next run is Friday hope to have a solution by then.

4 comments:

Steve Harvey (The Old Goat) said...

Yep - pulled a calf muscle today while running on the flat. Almost all of my courses have a major vertical component, and I get hurt on a bunny slope. Oh well, I'll just call it a long taper.

Georgie B said...

http://www.amazingsocks.com/web-pid-FA400-Feetures-Original-No-Show-Sock-item.htm

Fred.... I suggest Feetures socks.
There is a " Light " sock and a regular sock... don't get the light. They are super... a bit of compression and great wicking. I am lost without them.

Google search Feetures socks, or I'll bet they are in the runner's world catalogue. Trust me on this one.

I told you about the roots... when you trail run. You have to watch your step much, much more than when running on the roads. I used to trail run in Memphis and I knew I would fall a couple of times per run.

I just bought a big box of Aleve liquigels.... I plan to take them for 10 days prior to the race to knock down any lingering injuries, inflammations etc. I used to sell Aleve... it is Naproxen or Naprisin. Take two to get close to a prescription dose ( even though it prescribes one tablet per day ) I think you should do this to help your Achiles, neck etc. Can't hurt !

Take care of yourself... we can kill ourselves when we get to Colorado.... I haven't been on a helicopter for a while and we're insured !

Freddi14 said...

George
Did a web search...found the sock in Princeton... bought a pair of each the light and regular. Will run in then tomorrow. I hope that does the trick. Then I will order a bunch tomorrow afternoon on the internet.

I was going to the same thing but I was going to use Motrin. Will look into Aleve.

Georgie B said...

Fred, I used to sell Aleve... I think it is a better choice and the liquigels will be easier on your stomach... strongly recommend the liquigels.

The medicine in Aleve ( Naproxen Sodium ) is a solution and the medicine in Motrin ( Ibrupofen ) is more of a pain blocker.

Go with Aleve and bring Motrin to the race to solve short term pains if necessary.

Remember, you can take two Aleve even though the dosage on the bottle says 1 per day. If you take it with a little caffeine it works even better.