The Finish Line

The Finish Line
The Knuckleheads

The Last Day

The Last Day
Our Running Buddies

Sunday, July 20, 2008

Days 127,128,129,130 & 131

It has been a while...received some bads news about my cousin and a very good friend. Both had some serious medical issues. Both had left us for awhile and had to be revived. They are struggling to regain there health. There struggle makes this Quest seem insignificant. There are two things in life you can not take for granted your family and your health.

So in that regard getting in shape for this run is best thing I can do for my health assuming I do not killed by a grizzly bear or die of exhaustion!!!

Training has been going ok. The weather has not been good. The 4H's are back. Ran Wednesday inside on the treadmill uphill for 5 miles felt ok. Did some stomach work called it a day. Wednesday night we had our 1st touurnament game. Played one of the better teams we lost 17-7. Freddy pitched... he threw strikes but they had some real good hitters so it was tough. He was upset. On the way home from the game I was driving by myself and was passing a McDonalds had not had any junk food since March. AND after losing 15lbs I made a U-turn into Micky D's. Got a double quarter pounder w/cheese large fries and a coke. Thought I died and went to heaven...I woofed it down it 2 seconds almost went back for another but I had no money left.

Thursday, ran 7.5 in 90+ degree heat thought I was having a heat stroke. I stop sweating with a 1/2 mile to go. Made it back to the Y and drank water like a camel. Did some stomach work but felt weak. Went back to work with a headache took some aspirins. That night we had our second tournament game at 8:00. We won 15-5. Freddy played `pretty good had some good hits and played the field well. After the game Freddy went camping with the boy scouts along with Helen. I went home to take care of Katie and the pets. Did I mention I was exhausted!!!!

Friday, tried to wake-up early to go for a long run before the 4H's came out. Got going around 8:00am. Felt absolutely horrible and I just tried to survive. Got it done... it was not pretty. Went into work late after lunch.

Saturday, woke-up early... 6:30... got my long run in before the 4Hs kicked in but it was hot enough. Did not feel that bad actually had a little left very little at the end. Then we had BB practice at 10:00. It started getting hot but it did not bother the kids just the coaches.

Sunday, had to take today off as we had a game at 10:00am. We had to meet at 8:00 for BP practice before the game. It was some game we were losing 8-4 going into the last inning. We had to win to move on. Our # 11 hitter leads -off with a walk that was huge!!! Top of line-up coming up...but our Lead off man strikes out our # 2 guy walks our # 3 guy pops out...2 outs!!! We are down to our last out still had not scored. Freddy's up 3-2 count smashes one up the middle short-stop makes a great play but our # 2 guy is so fast he beats the play at second. Base loaded still 2 outs. Well after that we keep hitting ground balls and beating them out for hits. We steal home for the game winner 9-8. The Saga continues!!!! Stay tuned for more!!!

Tomorrow, treadmill work as I gear-up for what looks to be a tough week...need to go long for three straight days. Do not think I am going to run 20+ though. I hope to stick around 15-16 will see.

2 comments:

Georgie B said...

Fred, I must humbly admit that you are being more diligent than me in running frequency and length.

It is discouraging that whenever I run it is in the Dallas blast furnace. I just can't tell what progress I'm making... I know that after 9 miles or so, I'm finished despite my best intent.

I'm hoping that 9 in the intense heat is moving along on the fitness continuom, but I'm just not sure.

I do have some good news to report even though Apple and Texas Instruments came in really soft tonight setting us up for a nasty morning. The good news is this and I say this with my fingers crossed...

As you know, I have struggled mightily with my health over the last 4 and a half years.... In short, I have stomach pain 100 % of the time ( still do ), but what has been downright dehabilitating is that my fatigue level has been such that as soon as I get up each day, I have been literally struggling to function. Tasks as routine as paying bills needed to be planned because they were taxing. I was always counting the minutes from when I could take a nap and often went to bed at 5:00 p.m.

For the past two weeks, while the stomach pain remains, I have for the very first time transcended the constant fatigue in enough of a way to be able to claim improving health.

Maybe it's the quest, maybe its the clarity that comes after the death of my parents, maybe it's the fact that I have started to go to church again ( with reservation, of course... but with a recommitment to a somewhat undefined spirituality )

I know I have a ways to go... but I feel like I might be experiencing the possibility of a return to " Normal ".

For that reason, after 131 days of tracking our training... I am convinced that we have done something really positive for ourselves... in some ways the race will be anticlimatic to the training.

Having said that, I have to kick myself in the butt to continue to tear down so that I can build up beginning next week with more rest.

I am going to go 12 in the heat in the morning if it kills me ! It will keep me away from the Tech Wreck that is going to occur in the morning !

Georgie B said...

12 in 103 degrees.... not pretty, but got it done.

Sent in my " stuff " to Bank of America.... you and Mr Frank Sweeney have been terrific.

Frank, If you're reading this... I can't tell you how appreciative I am of your help and how much I enjoyed reconnecting with one of the " Good Guys ".