The Finish Line

The Finish Line
The Knuckleheads

The Last Day

The Last Day
Our Running Buddies

Saturday, May 24, 2008

Day 75 and 76

Friday did not run but went to the Y for stomach and upper body work. Cold still kicking my butt. Left for Jersey shore around 4:00. Picked up our race #'s and went to eat dinner at the Parker House...our Tradition. Played shuffle board with the kids ate dinner and off to the kids race. The weather was perfect. Freddy finished 3rd in the 10 year heat. Katie finished in the middle of the pack 12-14 heat. She held up well...she has the body of long distance runner tall and skinny but no endurance.

After the race we went to Rick's house. They have a beautiful house with a pool. Rick had just got back from London in the afternoon...which was a good thing. So we only had a couple beers and we were in bed before 11:00. The SL 5 is at 8:30am.

Woke-up at 7:00am my cold still bothering me. Rick was going to drive Henry(my buddy from WW who was also running) and me to the race. There were over 9,500 runners. The weather again was perfect. Rick and I have been going to this race for over 25 years you would think we would have the parking routine down by now. Team knucklehead 2. Last year we lost each other and the car. This year we could not get to the car because it was parked in the middle of the course and we had to wait until all the runners/walkers finished. Luckily Rick's wife Marydett came to picked us up.

The race is along the ocean and goes inland around a lake and you finish on the ocean side. Keeping with my historical strategy Henry and I lined up at he front of the pack with the Elite runners...of course! Did not want to run in the middle of 9500 people. Still did not get off to a great start the 1st mile was 8:10. Although my Garmin said 7:50. At the 3 mile mark my cold was making sick to my stomach almost threw-up. But still maintaining 8 min pace. Started to settle in and finished with sub 8's. Official race time 39:30 but my Garmin said 39. Overall happy with the results could have done better if not for the cold.

Went back to Rick's house...Freddy and Katie were in the pool the temp was 60. Henry came back to Rick's but had to go back to WW as he was leaving for Mexico City tomorrow. Had breakfast helped Rick put together a hammock. Not that I was much help...I can't screw in a light bulb. We were back in WW by 1:00 and on the couch taking a nap by 1:15. After my nap I finished turning over the garden. Having a beer now and plan to go to bed early tonight...watching Lion King w/kids.

Hope to go long tomorrow.

No comments: